Crazy Sara's Blog

Thursday, November 24, 2005

NYC is funny/Bouncing Berries/Pumpkin Pie

NYC is funny - two days ago, I swore I'd move to the suburbs by next fall. Today I was basking in the quietness of Brooklyn with everyone already hightailed out for the holiday. Only New Yorkers understand this fight and flight response. It's like that bad-but-oh-so-good boyfriend you just can't quit.

I passed by a deli and heard a grocerer telling a customer about "bouncing berries". I thought he was just joking and picking on this family visiting for the long weekend. I Googled it when I came home - apparently, cranberries that bounce are fresh or good ones, and those that don't are bad. I'll have to impress my mom with my new knowledge this Thanksgiving weekend.

After passing the deli, I headed over to Key Food to buy some groceries. All I could think of the whole time was Pies! There were some Sara Lee ones on sale for $1.99. Then I thought about how broke I was right now, and decided against the junk food craving. On my way home with my bags of groceries, guess what I found on someone's stoop on my block? A paper folded into a card written in green crayon by a child that said "Happy Thanksgiving! Happy Thanksgiving!" In front of that card were a set of orange plastic plates, a set of fork silverware, a plastic knife, and YES!!! A Homemade Pumpkin Pie! I know, I know...I should have left it for someone more needy, but goddammit, I am needy right now, and I had a bad week, ok? I thought about that and the possibility that it could have been some Thanksgiving sicko's idea of poisoning someone with the temptation of "the pumpkin pie". I tasted a bit to make sure it wasn't anything lethal, and boy did it taste good. Just the right amount of cinnamon. I ate two pieces for dinner tonight, and I plan on eating two more pieces for breakfast as I do work and watch some of the parade on the tele. I'm sure my aunt will have pie later in the evening too for dinner - hopefully, it's apple. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home